Sunday 13 January 2013

Run Forest Run


This year my short term goal is to run the Up the Creek 10 K in Port Coquitlam, a trail run on April 14th. So far I am up to 9K in my training program.  My main goal for this year is to run my first half marathon and I am hoping to make the Port Coquitlam Trail River Run ½ Marathon on September 22nd, my first of many half marathons.

Over the past 3 months I have been working out on our treadmill to get myself trail ready. Other than my participation in the 5K Jingle Bell jog, all my runs have been on my home gym treadmill. I run 3 times a week and cycle 1-2 days on the stationary bike. 

In order to keep my routine in tact, I have been getting up early to work out before I have to go to work. I saw an article back in September about the Top 10: Reasons to Train in the Morning. I decided to give it a try since I never seem to have the energy or motivation after I get home from work and eat dinner. Incorporating the morning routine has definitely kept me on track.

One of the challenges I have found as my runs get longer is combating boredom on the Treadmill. I love listening to my iPod workout playlist but staring at a wall while running started to bore me. We have a TV but watching movies or TV shows makes it hard to lose myself in my runs. 

I tried watching LIFE and Planet Earth and that only partially made my runs more interesting. What I missed was the feeling of running the trails so I searched for running videos and found some for the treadmill and stationary bike. The videos are among a collection of nature videos made by ISIS Visuals and available through Amazon.ca (& Amazon.com). I decided to try out the following DVDs:
  1. Fitness Journey: Through the Forest
  2. Fitness Journey: Through the Forest 2
  3. Fitness Journey: Forest and Bush Trails

I ordered the DVDs before Christmas and they just arrived yesterday. I had a long run this morning and I was able to try out the first DVD. I have to say that it definitely made my run more enjoyable. I found myself enjoying the scenery while I ran to my music, often using landmarks in the video to tempo my runs. There is something appealing about "visually" running to the end of a trail in anticipation of what's around the bend.

I can't wait until the weather warms up and I can start training outside but until then, I will be using these running DVDs to keep me mentally on the trails.

Below is an example of the video.




1 comment:

  1. That's really neat, I had no idea those existed! Please keep me posted if you hear of any good 5km runs!

    ReplyDelete